Surveillance, tracking, and censorship are widespread online. Help take back the internet with Tor.
Privacy, freedom of expression, and access to information are human rights, yet these rights are denied online around the world.
Nearly 80% of all websites have tracking software installed. These trackers can not only reveal your identity, health, and income data, but they can also reveal the behavioral data that defines us as human beings: our day-to-day behavior, our personality, our fears, our relationships, and our vulnerabilities.
The exploitation of our online behavior has changed the social context in which we live. The consequences for some people is grave and immediate: oppressive governments can block critical resources and target activists and journalists for exercising their right to voice dissent.
Amid growing concerns about the loss of digital rights, advocates have fought and won to pass new privacy laws, including the California Consumer Privacy Act, but these laws allow too much room for interpretation by Big Tech, and the internet’s thriving surveillance economy remains intact and growing. We need to fight for an internet that gives people privacy and freedom by default.
How Tor can help take back the internet
We believe everyone should have private access to the open web, and we build free, open source tools to make that possible.
Tor Browser and the Tor network free you from tracking, surveillance, and censorship online and allow you to publish and share information freely and privately, by default.
Millions of people use Tor every day, from activists, human rights defenders, journalists, researchers, technologists, and many other people who are proactively protecting their privacy from the prying eyes of corporations and governments while using the internet.
Help keep Tor strong by making a gift
We are deeply appreciative of the cryptocurrency community for your consistent and generous support. Making a donation to our campaign today will help us remain agile in the face of increasing challenges.
Your gift today specifically will help us to:
- Scale the Tor network. We want to be ready to handle more users, more relay operators, and make it easier for third parties to adopt Tor in their applications.
- Improve the Tor network and Tor Browser's performance, particularly for users who have slow connections, old devices, and limited data.
- Improve onion services' usability and protections against DoS attacks, website fingerprinting, and guard discovery attacks.
- Promote and normalize onion services adoption and continue to debunk the myth of the 'dark web' by helping organizations set up onion services and SecureDrop instances.
- Strengthen our community investment. We rely on the help of a diverse community of volunteers, relay operators, and many others—and we want to expand the resources to support them.
- Better monitor the health of the Tor network. To increase our insight into performance problems, including possible bad actors, we’ll improve our tools to monitor the network and test and tune improvements.
- Advance the development and accessibility of our anti-censorship tools. We’ll strengthen our investment to monitor the eﬀectiveness of the tools, make them easier for people to discover and use, and upgrade them for mobile devices.